Saturday, August 1, 2009

On the Road Again

The missionaries said their goodbyes this morning. It was difficult to say goodbye to some because of the strong bond we've been able to create these short 11 weeks. I will miss them terribly through the school year. I just want them to know how much I absolutely love them.



Now that my summer work is done allow me to tell you, faithful readers, about the progress we had in each of the kids who came to kid's club. There were all Taira's and my babies and we loved them unconditionally but there were a few who stuck out to me.



Dustyn: FIRST APPEARANCE:He was one of those kids who thought it was too cool to participate in anything. He came every day but he would just sit in a corner with his arms crossed. Taira and I saw the potential in him and I said we just needed to love on him and show him Jesus is cool. He went to church but how much he actually listened was questionable. AFTER: He opened up tremendously over the weeks. As we showed him how cool we were because Jesus was #1 in our lives, he began to think Jesus was cool, too. He shared his ideas during the lessons and was a peacemaker amongst the older boys. He would hug Taira and me once in a while and then when it was the last few days, he made it a point to hug us before we left. He turned out to be such a sweet kid. All he needed was a little bit of compassion.



Taris: FIRST APPEARANCE: She was shy and didn't smile much. The first time she came to Kid's Club she didn't say much. We tried to get her to crack a smile but that just wasn't working. I saw a hurt soul and it was my job to do some healing. Taira and I reached out to her and made her feel welcome. The first time we presented the steps of salvation she accepted Jesus into her heart. We rejoiced at this and a few tears were shed.
AFTER: Taris had quickly become the "mom" of the kids. She would always help us split kids up who were fighting or reinforce what we said to the youngers if they didn't listen. She came to me and gave me the biggest hugs I have ever received. She turned out to be such a sweetheart. Oh, and she wore a smile at least twenty times a day whenever I saw her.

Cody: FIRST APPEARANCE: He was just like Dustyn when he first came to Kid's Club. Cody would wear the same dull expression and would have his arms crossed. He refused to participate and would even back talk. I worried every time he came because I thought "Great. What shannanigans is he gonna pull today?" Though my thoughts were continually like this, I tried to show him Jesus. It was hard at first because I had to go away from the kids who were behaved and loved me already and go to the one who didn't love me. I had to take that step. Dealing with Cody was such a lesson in trusting God.
AFTER: He became a very respectful young man! He faithfully came and even when he left for a while, he would come back in time for lunch. If he missed the lesson, Taira would have a way of tying it in with their conversations. He loved us and we loved him. I rejoiced every time I saw him because I knew it was just another opportunity to plant a seed in his life. He stopped coming the last three weeks. What he was doing, I don't know. All I do know is that while he was at Kid's Club we made it a loving, safe environment where he could learn about Jesus. I pray those seeds we planted won't fall to the wayside. I pray we'll see a harvest and be able to rejoice.

Katie: FIRST APPEARANCE: As soon as I saw her I wanted to show her Jesus' love. She looked so sad and again, another shy girl. I began talking with her and she shared wit me some of her problems and difficulties she was having in her life.
AFTER: Katie is a wonderful girl. She's funny and just your typical teenage girl. She was very clingy and wouldn't let me or Taira out of her sight. If she was leaving the house for a minute or so she would tell us. (Her house was right next to Kid's Club). She brought her brother, James, and we worked with him. Together, they became loving kids and we loved having them come to learn about Jesus every day.

I didn't talk about all the kids (there were close to 30 of them!) but in their own special way they changed during the summer. They became mature, respectful, loving. Sure they would have their fights with each other and it would seem to the untrained eye that they were a bunch of hooligans. However, when you got to know them and spent some time with them, they were such gifted kids! Each one had their quirks and it was so great to see them slowly develop into them as the summer wore on. I was blessed to work with such angels. I will miss them dearly and love them unconditionally from here on out. No matter how old they get, they'll be my kids.



Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment