Friday, July 24, 2009

The Bond of the Body---Week 10

This was a week of lasts: Last groups and last Kid's Club session for the summer.

The BAT girls (that's Betsy, myself and Taira) were given the lovely news that we would be going to a work site for the week--plus working Kid's Club and on Monday night working the ministry center. All was not lost, however. We were blessed with an awesome group hailing from Memphis. Most of them were youth ranging from 12-18. Their leader, Elias Garcia, was so awesome! So down to earth and interested in every aspect of our lives. It was great just to open up to him and tell him my story.

His group had pretty much everything planned and our kids had a great time participating. They made a lot of new friends with our group and became very comfortable around them.



After Kid's Club, for Monday and Tuesday, we went to the new property that will be used for the new Samaritan House. Basically, Jean-Anne wanted us to clear away the trees and brush from the place where the future pavilion will stand. We got that done in four hours, two hours a day. Our group worked so hard! I loved working alongside them because their willingness to work was astounding and wonderfully refreshing. I was pleasantly shocked to see the work ethic of these young people. I, being a young adult myself, was proud see not all of our generation is lost. There are still parents doing their jobs and raising God-fearing young men and women. I love it!



Wednesday and Thursday went very smoothly. Because the work site was pretty much done, after Kid's Club on Wednesday the group went back to the MC to do some sorting and cleaning. It was a fun time and we got to know each other a bit better, too.



Thursday was our last day with our kids. I didn't cry over leaving. Jesus gave me a peace in my spirit. It was a conformation that I did what I was called to do for the summer. I came to be a witness and teach the kids about Jesus, the one who loves them beyond what they can even imagine. I came to love them and treat them like my own kids. God showed me the progress that happened over the eight or so weeks we were with the kids. The progress came rushing back to my brain and I stood in awe at how great God truly is.



We had a mega water war, which everyone absolutely loved. Taira and I had bought cups so the kids could fill them instead of the tubs they were accustomed to having. The cups worked way better. Everyone got extremely soaked and by the end of the day, all anyone wanted to do was collapse in a heap and go to sleep! Oh, that was a fun day =)



Taira and I allowed the group to go back to the dorm since they obviously deserved it for being so wonderful. That night, after work (we stopped around 8:30pm), BAT went to a birthday party they were throwing for Mrs. Betty. We played spoons and oh, was that hilarious! I love those types of games when everyone gets rowdy and obnoxiously loud. It's so much fun!! Betsy and I stayed until about 11:30pm when we all decided it was time to go to bed. Taira left around 9:30pm...

This morning our fabulous team left. Not until I received a little something from one of the girls. I read what she wrote to me and as we were pulling out of the church, I began to cry.

She spoke of how I made an impact on her life...

To be honest, this entire summer I've been questioning why exactly am I here. I knew God had something big for me but I didn't know exactly what He was concocting. I still don't fully know the reason why He wanted me to come here. But, a little piece of the puzzle has been uncovered. Throughout the summer, I had questions. You can read my last post or so and see the struggle I was facing. Needless to say, those questions are put to rest and I'm soaking in the peace that is Jesus Christ.

However, as far as seeing the harvest of my labor, that was still in question. I wanted to see it and I wanted to know that I was getting through to someone. Every week a new group would come in and they would encourage but I just didn't feel like I got any one's attention. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not vying for attention. I know my reward is in heaven. I rejoice in that fact. While, I don't depend on human acclamation, it is nice once in a while to know that the work God put me on earth to do is not being done in vain.

This letter I read today answered my questions. She said I made an impact on her life. That is such a humbling and awesome thing to read! I was excited because 1) God answered my prayer in the simplest form...in writing. 2) I now feel as though my time spent here has not been in vain and that everything has come full circle. 3) As I leave Jeff City and travel back to Jersey and then back to Nashville to continue my college career, I'll strive to be more of a better role model for those who've gotten a chance to come to know me.

The weeks for summer groups have come to an end. This week it's all about cleaning and reorganizing. I make my way back to good ol' Jersey on Saturday.

Tomorrow, however, a little fun is to be had. We're going rafting and then on Sunday we're going to the Dixie Stampede. Should be a hoot n' a holler.



Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment